This is one of my favorite pictures. Julianne snapped it this weekend with her iPhone and through the magic of Instagram, you get a picture of me surrounded by 5 and 6 year old boys at their last soccer game of the season. First things first. I absolutely LOVED coaching. It helped that Joshua loved playing and enjoyed “having Daddy coach!” To me, that was where I found the joy. I was able to watch 12 kindergarten boys learn the game of soccer, enjoy geting to know each other, and improve as the season went on. I also think the fact that I am as passionate about soccer as I am social media had a thing to do with me enjoying it!
As I looked at this picture, I began to think about leadership. As a boss or leader, what is your style? If I were to look at how I coached 5 and 6 year olds this past spring, I focused on the following characteristics. Could that translate from the soccer field into successful leadership in the office?
- ENCOURAGEMENT – Keep trying even if you missed the goal!
- HUMILITY – Stay humble after scoring goals! The game isn’t over.
- TEAMWORK – Pass the ball.
- DISCIPLINE – Take charge when you need to. 5 and 6 year olds don’t always behave!
- FUN – Keep them laughing. Do things to mix it up at practice that are enjoyable so they excel during the games!
- Is there improvement and growth?
- Are they working together?
- Are they learning?
- Are they having fun?